There are dozens of ways to start learning a language, from total immersion to taking traditional classes at school, and many ways in between. There are so many language resources available today, as we’ve talked about at length in this blog, that it can be difficult to know where to begin! But one of the biggest new resources for learning English has to do with technology—of course!
E-learning is the next big thing in terms of language learning and lessons!
Whereas there is no replacement for a live teacher who is a native speaker, many e-learning platforms are now available online, including here at Speak English Center!
But what can e-learning offer that you don’t get in a face-to-face English lesson? A lot! :
1. You can go at your own pace. An e-learning platform, like the one on our site, is perfect as a complement to your individual or group lessons at school because it is always available. And, unlike being at school, you can review and repeat information as often as you like! For example, if you didn’t understand something, you can listen again…and again! You can take your time without having the pressure of a teacher in front of you and students next to you, something that is a big stress trigger for most students. This is also a great solution for many students who have a hard time concentrating in a classroom.
2. The content of your lesson can be tailored to your needs. Whether you need English for work, pleasure, or to pass a standardized exam, with e-learning you can choose your course à la carte! On our e-learning platform for example, there are dozens of specific lessons for professionals of every kind, giving you access to vocabulary and terms that you need for your career. Or, if you prefer to expand your literary mind, you may prefer our selection of digital books of all genres that can be uploaded to your digital reader! These feature explanations, listening, and comprehension quizzes, among other features.
3. You can choose the time and place that you do your lessons. Say goodbye to being late for lessons and appointments, or working around your teacher’s schedule! When you sign up for e-learning, you can choose when—and where!—you want to have your lesson. All you need is a computer and an internet connection!
4. You’d be surprised what you can learn! Special computer programs exist today to train students online with speaking, pronunciation and listening, in addition to reading and grammar. For instance, the e-learning course that we offer at Speak English Center includes a headset and a microphone to use with the SpeechTrainer®, which helps you improve your speaking without being embarrassed in front of an entire classroom. You will have fun using these features, and we all know that we learn faster when we have fun!
5. You save time and money. English lessons in a classroom, especially private lessons, can be costly. But e-learning is cheap! Our e-learning platform, accessible from anywhere in the world, is available with unlimited access, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week– for only 50 centimes per day! When you include the money you save by not traveling to and from a lesson, that’s an amazing bargain for the knowledge you will gain!
“Well that all sounds great, right? But how does it work? I still need a teacher, don’t I?”
Don’t worry! As is the case for many—but not all!—online learning platforms, our REAL teachers are here to support your progress! Your teacher simply connects to the platform just like you do, and follows your progress. Your teacher will give you additional exercises that correspond to your needs and your results so far. Each student’s e-learning course is geared towards his or her level of English, and also offers over 40 more specific lessons to choose from according to your needs and interests.
This type of online English course is also great for maintaining your level after completing a face-to-face English course, or after time spent working or traveling abroad!
So if you have “Improve my English” on your list of resolutions for the New Year, why not try learning English online this year? At these prices, what have you got to lose?
Have you tried any e-learning platforms available on the web?
What did you think of it? What improvements would you make?
Do you think teachers will ever be replaced by technology? Why or why not?
We love to read your comments!